From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:41:15
1 On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 12:35:11PM -0700, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2
3 > For backwards compatibility with existing ebuilds, yes we will probably
4 > still need the metadata cache since we'll still have some kind of bash
5 > linkage. It's important to point out that the design of portage-ng will
6 > not be tied to ebuilds. Ebuilds will likely become "legacy" build
7 > scripts that are superceded by something a lot better, cleaner, powerful
8 > and also faster for portage-ng.
11 Please keep in mind that a significant number of users have expressed a
12 fondness for ebuilds precisely because they can apply simple bash
13 scripting knowledge to create a complex build script. Any new format
14 should probably aim for similar syntax for precisely that reason.
15
16 (But this is getting way ahead of things.)
19 Jon Portnoy
20 avenj/irc.freenode.net
23 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list