From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] portage.settings.profiles
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 05:07:08
1 Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Hello!
5 > In my current code for GSoC/Gentoo/Smolt I access the list of folders
6 > that /etc/make.profile and parents are resolved to:
7 >
8 > portage.settings.profiles
9 >
10 > I do this to be able access
11 >
12 > - profile package.mask,
13 > - user package.mask, and
14 > - user package.unmask
15 >
16 > independently, which
17 >
18 > portage.settings._getMaskAtom
19 > portage.settings._getProfileMaskAtom
20 >
21 > seem not be able to at the moment, besides looking quite private :-)
22 >
23 > Rationale:
24 > Among other things I want to find out if the user unmasked a certain
25 > package in the past even if the related mask entry for it was removed
26 > in the meantime. Also, I want to be able to distinct between a
27 > a "stable on stable package" and an "unmasked masked package".
30 > What I would like to ask for is we could decide that
31 >
32 > portage.settings.profiles is declared part of the public
33 > API and not allow to change anymore
34
35 Go ahead and use it. It's safe. Most attributes that aren't marked
36 with an underscore are pretty safe. If there has to be a change then
37 typically I do it under a new name and leave the old one for
38 compatibility.
39
40 > or
41 >
42 > if we could introduce some getter for now so I could surround
43 > the current access to <portage.settings.profiles> by a portage
44 > API version check and use the getter from a certain version on.
47 > Integrating my code for portage related code into smolt does not seem
48 > reasonable to me as it would require depending on a version of portage
49 > that will not be stable before 2010 or so.
50 >
51 > Please share your thoughts with me.
55 > Sebastian
60 Thanks,
61 Zac