From: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Questions about CVS locations and GID...
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 21:54:19
1 On 10/5/05, Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 01:48:03PM -0700, m h wrote:
3 > > On 10/5/05, Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > Yay, time for another flame war (just what I'd love to spend my time
5 > > > on).
6 > >
7 > > Sorry, I'm really not trying to kindle any flames here.
8 > Heh, you're not, I'm just mildly pissy due to recurrent flamewars :)
9
10 In which case I'm sorry to be the bearer or recurrent touchy subjects ;)
13 > > So, on the topic of rewrite. Does there happen to be any testcases
14 > > for portage? Unittests, etc? I'd be nice to verify that rewrite
15 > > behaves properly (well, actually I want testcases for selfish reasons,
16 > > so I don't break code if I change anything....)
17 > Niadda.
18 >
19 > Would love it if someone stepped up on that, since I don't
20 > particularly have the time right now :)
21 >
22 Can possibly help out on that, see below...
25 > > > Do 'em seperate. Those who want interdomain, they can do the work.
26 > > > Those who want global offset, they can do that chunk.
27 > >
28 > > I understand the interdomain stuff to be that prefixed packages can
29 > > depend on packages outside of their prefix? If so, I don't want this
30 > > "feature". I want an isolated sandbox. (Again, I realize others have
31 > > different needs)
32 > Pretty much. Best description is dependencies between root's.
33 > Global prefix (for osx) would either
34 > A) have a vdb for that prefix that represented the package.provided
35 > nodes
36 > B) have a domain for root=/, and do interdomain.
37 >
38 > A is likely route due to it being a helluva lot simpler; B is
39 > better/cleaner (imo), but it requires more work.
42 Hmmm, I'm not clear yet on the value of interdomain, but I'm sure
43 someone will enlighten me along the way...
47 > > So, I figure I'm sortof diving in with Haubi's code (against the
48 > > advice of those wanted a complete spec) since I think my needs seem to
49 > > be the most minimum subset of what others want in this feature. I
50 > > think it's a good way to help me understand the innards of portage
51 > > (though the code is pretty spaghetti right now). I presume you think
52 > > I should start with "rewrite" as a base? What is the current status
53 > > of rewrite?
54 > Rewrite's code is a heck of a lot cleaner; oop based for starters :)
55 > There is some nastyness, but it's encapsulated, and pretty much
56 > required.
57 >
58 > Current state of it is that I'm atm stuck on plugin code, and a slight
59 > change to the config handling code.
60 >
61 > Building/fetching are done, full immutable ebuild tree and vdb are
62 > done, immutable binpkg repository is done sans a package class.
63 >
64 > The mutable thing is basically querying the db; for vdb and binpkg,
65 > they need to be modifiable, able to add a package to the repository
66 > (merging). I'm working on that atm.
67 >
68 > Jason's doing resolver work, state of that I can't comment on (that's
69 > his thing).
70 >
71 > ebuild*sh side of it's already done- if you were looking to test out
72 > prefix building (experiment) I'd probably start there.
75 OK, so since I have a deadline (end of next week) I'd like to have a
76 simple prototype working. IE me running apache on FC4 with portage.
77 If I can do that then it's very likely that I'll be able to devote a
78 bit of time towards working on this (where this could be rewrite) (bug
79 fixes, polishing it up, unittests, etc). On that note, I need to know
80 what the timeframe for rewrite is. If it's to a state where I can
81 work with it then maybe I should try and start from there. But I'm
82 assumming it will be easier/quicker to get haubi's stuff working.
85 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list