From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage and Update Security
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 23:18:13
1 On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Vladimir Diaz <vladimir.v.diaz@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I am a developer in the Secure Systems Lab at NYU. Our lab has
7 > collaborated with popular software update systems in the open-source
8 > community, including APT, yum, and YaST, to address security problems.
9 > More recently, we have been working on a flexible security framework
10 > co-developed with the Tor project that can be easily added to software
11 > updaters to transparently solve many of the known security flaws we have
12 > uncovered in software updaters. We would like to work with The Portage
13 > Development Project to better secure the Portage distribution system.
16 I'm not familiar with your work on APT, do you have a link?
19 > TUF
20 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf#a-framework-for-securing-software-update-systems>
21 > (The Update Framework) is a library that can be added to an existing
22 > software update system and is designed to update files in a more secure
23 > manner. Many software updaters verify software updates with cryptographic
24 > signatures and hash functions, but they typically fail to protect against
25 > malicious attacks that target the metadata and update files presented to
26 > clients. A rollback attack is one such example, where an attacker tricks a
27 > client into installing older files than those the client has already seen
28 > (these older files may be vulnerable versions that have since been fixed).
29 > A full list of attacks and weaknesses the framework is designed to address
30 > is provided here
31 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/blob/develop/SECURITY.md#security>
32 > .
33 >
34 > Our website <http://theupdateframework.com/index.html> includes more
35 > information about TUF, including: papers
36 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/tree/develop/docs/papers> and
37 > a specification
38 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/blob/develop/docs/tuf-spec.txt>.
39 > If you want to see how an existing project integrates TUF, there is a
40 > standards track proposal
41 > <https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/blob/master/pep-0458-tuf-online-keys.rst#abstract>
42 > to the Python community that you can review. A more rigorous proposal that
43 > requires more administrative work on the repository, but provides more
44 > security protections, is also available
45 > <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0480/>.
46 >
47 > We were thinking of submitting a pull request that shows how such an
48 > integration would work. So there hopefully won't be much leg work on your
49 > end apart from deciding how the system should be configured (key storage,
50 > roles, etc.).
53 > Would a pull request be of interest? Is there anything you'd like us to
54 > say more about?
57 I guess I am less concerned with adding support to portage (which as you
58 note, is likely fairly straightforward) vs actually generating, publishing,
59 and signing the metadata; which you would have convince the infrastructure
60 team to do.
63 > Thanks,
64 > Vlad
65 >
66 > P.S.
67 > There are Informational <http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:57> and Standards
68 > Track <http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:58> GLEPs that reference our work
69 > and the security issues that our project addresses, but there hasn't been
70 > much recent activity on these proposals.
73 FWIW, I would rather adopt the standard than continue with a gentoo
74 specific thing; but I'm not the guy who is going to implement it. I would
75 recommend talking to the GLEP author (robbat2@g.o)
76
77 -A
82 > --
83 > vladimir.v.diaz@×××××.com
84 > PGP fingerprint = ACCF 9DCA 73B9 862F 93C5 6608 63F8 90AA 1D25 3935
85 > --