From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] Properties of package sets
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 04:51:58
1 On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:03:54 -0700
2 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 05:07 +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
5 > > Please reply on gentoo-portage-dev, _not_ on gentoo-dev, thanks.
6 > >
7 > > One missing feature in portage is the lack of package sets. Before
8 > > we (re)start working on that however I'd like to get some feedback
9 > > about what properties/features people would expect from portage
10 > > package set support.
11 > > Some key questions:
12 > >
13 > > - should they simply act like aliases for multiple packages? E.g.
14 > > should `emerge -C sets/kde` be equivalent to `emerge -C kdepkg1
15 > > kdepkg2 kdepkg3 ...`? Or does the behavior need to be "smarter" in
16 > > some ways?
17 >
18 > I like the alias way acting simply as a metapkg.
19
20 Well, mind that a very simple alias implementation as outlined above
21 would for example unmerge kdepkg3 even if it was merged explicitly.
22
23 > > - should sets be supported everywhere, or only in selected use
24 > > cases? (everywhere would include depstrings for example)
25 >
26 > Please NO. emerge.py should know about sets but ebuild.py should be
27 > oblivious to them. package sets as you are proposing imo should be
28 > limited to portage only. By putting package sets in ebuild depstrings
29 > we would be effectively forcing all other pkg managers to support the
30 > feature. I don't think we should do that.
31
32 What about config files (package.*) or other sets?
33
34 > > - what use cases are there for package sets? Other than the
35 > > established "system" and "world", and the planned "all" and
36 > > "security" sets.
37 >
38 > Assuming you guys run with with the simple alias method I don't see
39 > how 'security' can fit into this.
40
41 Simple: the list of atoms would be assembled dynamically by checking
42 the available GLSAs, similar to how the "affected" target works in
43 glsa-check. But lets keep the backend implementation details out for
44 now.
45
46 Marius
51 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
52 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.