From: m h <sesquile@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Refactoring of emerge code
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 00:16:17
1 Upon further testing, I'm updating a line in the patch
2
3 On 4/28/06, m h <sesquile@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Folks-
5 >
6 > I'm submitting a patch of a refactoring of the emerge code in
7 > 2.1_pre9-r5. This patch adds no features per se. But I believe it
8 > makes the code much more readable. This only addresses the
9 > /usr/lib/portage/bin/emerge file.
10 >
11 > It does the following:
12 >
13 > * attempts to remove all global variables (with the exception of the
14 > spinner animation)
15 > * breaks up the heinous 900 lines of code at the bottom of the file into:
16 > * a __main__ section that calls out to
17 > * do_SOMETHING where something is (depclean, search, info, config, etc)
18 > * removes any code that was dangling at the leftmost side of my editor
19 > and puts it under the __main__ section
20 > * removes an olddbapi variable that isn't used
21 >
22 > I've tested it with the sync, remove, search, update and it appears to
23 > work. Any feedback is welcome.
24 >
25 > I hope that this gets in for a few reasons. I'm helping out with
26 > doing some work on the PREFIX branch, having the code unstructured
27 > makes it really hard to follow (hopefully it can get into trunk so I
28 > don't need to patch prefix, everytime it's updated). One of my
29 > coworkers just started adding some functionality to emerge (he'll send
30 > his patches in soon), but this is really his first week using python,
31 > and I don't want this to leave a bad taste in his mouth.... ;)
32 >
33 > -matt

emerge_refactor.diff application/octet-stream