From: Gustavo Barbieri <barbieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Current portage well designed, but badly used
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:19:55
1 On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 03:41:53 +0000, Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 27 November 2004 11:10 pm, Gustavo Barbieri wrote:
3 > > Categories are mixed: there is a net-www/apache and net-www/mod_*
4 > > (apache modules), but there is a more convenient category www-apache/
5 > > for them. This is one example, there are more mistakes. There is any
6 > > plan to fix them in next portage releases?
7 >
8 > IIRC, net-www is an old category that should be www-* sometime in the future.
9 > I believe this change was in a notice on the main site a while ago.
10
11 Sorry, I didn't follow gentoo news very much, I'll start to.
14 > > Some packages use numbering version padded with zero, that's good to
15 > > list with shell functions, but it's bad because you can't change them
16 > > to numbers and them back to string. For example:
17 > > mail-mta/nullmailer-1.00_rc7-r4. If you Convert it to integers, it
18 > > becomes 1.0 and you can't map back to the ebuild.
19 >
20 > Versions are *not* decimal numbers, but a set of three integers. Version 1.15
21 > is a higher version than 1.2. It might be seen as nitpicking, but "integers"
22 > generally always refers to a whole number (1 or 2, not 1.3 or 2.4)
23
24 Yes, I know that. In my fast portage module I convert version to a
25 PackageVersion class, that split the version according to naming
26 policy, then I build a list of version numbers as integers and the
27 last element is a string, "" if no letter modifier or the letter
28 itself if there is one, like openssl. Then i have one suffix,
29 converted to a tuple of 2 integers, the first is the position of the
30 "alpha|pre|rc|..." order and the second is the modifier number. Then I
31 have the release version.
32
33 My problem was that if I convert: app-misc/gcal/gcal-3.01.ebuild, then
34 I have: (3,1) as version, back to string as "3.1" instead of "3.1".
35
36 To overcome this I keep the original version string and use the
37 numbers just to compare versions.
40 > > Portage provides metadata.xml, cool. But it's hardly used :(
41 > > metadata.xml seems to provide tags for maintainers, changelogs and
42 > > long description, many (most?) packages don't use them.
43 >
44 > They should. It's a semi-gradual process.
45
46 I did a lot of ebuilds but never realised of them!
47 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ebuild-submit.xml doesn't mention that,
48 however http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml
49 does. Maybe people doen't care about it because it's not that evident
50 or required to accept the ebuild.
53 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
55 Computer Engineer 2001 - UNICAMP
56 GPSL - Grupo Pro Software Livre