From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [GLEP59v2 5/5] GLEP59: Change live Manifest2 hashes to SHA256, SHA512, WHIRLPOOL
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 20:40:05
1 On 10/02/2011 05:46 AM, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > On Sat, Oct 01, 2011 at 09:40:13PM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
3 >> If we control these hashes via metadata/layout.conf, then we can toggle
4 >> it atomically for all commiters. Otherwise, we'll have an annoying
5 >> period of time where different committers are committing different sets
6 >> of hashes, depending on their portage version.
7 > How do you suggest doing it via layout.conf? I've kept SHA256 in both
8 > sets for now, but if you could enforce new signatures including both
9 > WHIRLPOOL and SHA256, that would be great.
10
11 How about if we put something like this in
12 gentoo-x86/metadata/layout.conf now:
13
14 manifest2-sha1 = true
15 manifest2-whirlpool = false
16
17 Then we'll patch portage so that by default it will disable SHA1 and
18 enable WHIRLPOOL, and the above settings will override the defaults.
19 After the patched portage is marked stable in a month or so, we'll send
20 an announcement to gentoo-announce, and remove the above settings from
21 layout.conf.
22 --
23 Thanks,
24 Zac