From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The road ahead...
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 03:30:34
1 On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 12:13:42PM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Something like:
3 > * Add base class(es) for new cache framework
4 > * Add cache backend for XYZ database
5 > * Switch portdbapi to the new framework
6 > * Remove old framework
7 eclass_cache.py chunking (portage.py removal)
8 cache replacement (base + implementations)
9 portage.py (dbapi), emerge changes (integration of new cache).
10 removal patch
11
12 That said... would be curious about suggestions on how to do this
13 sanely. Chunking the beast up (patch jockeying) after the fact I can
14 do, but in instances like this... it's not easy to chunk it down into
15 features/tweaks. Basically is big ass blobs of "new stuff",
16 "conversion to new stuff", "remove old stuff".
17
18 Even with that... still is tricky.
19
20 Offhand, the existing cache patch could be reduced pretty heavily by
21 breaking it down into addition, and removal of old cache.
22
23 Obviously after review ability, but also would note the further down
24 you push the required granularity of the patches, the harder it is to
25 have a big picture view of the patchset changes (imo).
28 > > So... guideliness. ?
29 >
30 > Should start a new thread about it later. I'd like to get this one finalized
31 > first. :)
32 Personally, I'm kind of inclined to just have people state stuff.
33 a commit message of "fixed shit" doesn't really cover it, obviously,
34 but I'd say what's been coming in on the portage-commits alias as of
35 late covers it (both 3.0 and 2.0 commit messages)
36
37 Seperate discussion maybe, but kind of think of it as a no-brainer :)
38 ~harring