From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Plausible idea for GLEP 19?
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:28:49
1 On Monday 23 January 2006 04:56, Patrick Börjesson spammed:
2
3 > The problem with your reasoning is that portage only reports the
4 > "highest" upgrade (from it's point of view). So if you have package
5 > A-1.0 installed and two possible upgrades, say A-1.0-s1 and A-1.1, then
6 > portage will chose the "highest" of the two. So the output from that
7 >
8 > command would be:
9 > | These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
10 > |
11 > | Calculating world dependencies ...done!
12 > | [ebuild U ] the-cat/A-1.1 [1.0] ......
13 >
14 > It will not output the following:
15 > | These are the packages that I would merge, in reverse order:
16 > |
17 > | Calculating world dependencies ...done!
18 > | [ebuild U ] the-cat/A-1.0-s1 [1.0] ......
19 >
20 > So you _will_ miss upgrades if you only filter the output of emerge in
21 > your solution and expect to get all security related upgrades relating
22 > to the package you're using.
23
24 That is _exactly_ how it is intended to work. "Normal" users will get A-1.1
25 when they run emerge -u. Users with a need for stability will only see
26 A-1.0-s1, and only if it is available for A-1.0.
27
28 Perhaps I should have named it "hotfix" instead of "glsa-only". This
29 feature is targeted towards environments that prioritize stability slightly
30 over security. Often it is not an option to upgrade to the next version of
31 something until it has been regression tested, various apps have been
32 migrated/ported, etc...
33
34 My patches alone don't make this possible, but they at least provide a
35 framework for it to happen in the future. Users who need backported
36 security fixes could band together for the major apps and do the work, the
37 -s packages could be distributed via overlays (so as not to interfere with
38 old versions of portage).