From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] stripping implementation in portage
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 22:40:37
1 Hola all.
2
3 Short version, the nostrip feature is a bit funky as an option. What
4 I'm after is effectively building all packages *with* debugging
5 information as default, and leaving it up to the repository you're
6 merging the package to, to decide on stripping or not.
7
8 IOW, if you prefer stripped binaries on your livefs, the stripping occurs
9 while merging to the livefs- this leaves you the option
10 of having binpkgs that *do* carry non-stripped binaries/libs.
11 Situation can be reversed also, for the embedded crowd.
12
13 Downside, for people who flat out want stripping across the board,
14 it's a bit more flipping it on, although that's addressed via inherit
15 support within the underlying config (just take my word on that one :)
16 Also involves a bit more logic, but that's just implementation voodoo.
17
18 So... thoughts? I'd be particularly curious about any package where
19 this wouldn't be viable.
20
21 Aside from that, cc'ing both lists, would prefer the discussion on dev
22 since the implementation can go either way; preference of if that
23 flexibility is desired or not is a user thing, so we discuss it in
24 their ml.
25 ~harring