From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] bin/isolated-functions.sh USERLAND setting
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 17:47:25
1 Hi,
2
3 bin/isolated-functions.sh does the following bit:
4
5 if [[ -z ${USERLAND} ]] ; then
6 case $(uname -s) in
7 *BSD|DragonFly)
8 export USERLAND="BSD"
9 ;;
10 *)
11 export USERLAND="GNU"
12 ;;
13 esac
14 fi
15
16 (after which it uses USERLAND for a single purpose, to export XARGS to
17 either GNU '[g]xargs -r', or BSD 'xargs')
18
19 This bit is problematic for Prefix, because Prefix may run on *BSD, but
20 use USERLAND=GNU. The problem is theoretical at this point,
21 occasionally people come in and want to use Prefix on *BSD again.
22
23 Now I think Gentoo/BSD is theoretical too. It officially is no longer
24 maintained[1].
25
26 So, question here is, do we want to retain this bit of historical
27 compatibility work (also check things like gsed wrapper), or can it go,
28 basically removing a potential problem for Gentoo Prefix?
32 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_FreeBSD
37 Fabian Groffen
38 Gentoo on a different level