From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Is portage (/usr)/bin-merge safe?
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 05:37:02
1 As in subject, is portage bin/usr-bin merge safe?
2
3 It appears most of my clashing files are /usr/bin/* -> /bin/* symlinks.
4 (That's just bin, I've not looked at sbin.)
5
6 Does portage "just do the right thing" if the dirs are linked to each
7 other?
8
9 Meanwhile, a quick eyeball of the results says 50-60% of the hits are
10 coreutils, so if portage doesn't handle it automatically, fixing it for
11 just that one package, even just using a USE flag instead of trying to
12 detect it automatically, would kill a majority of the birds with a single
13 stone.
14
15 (Since I don't have a separate /usr anyway, I've been thinking about
16 it... If it's not easily doable anyway, that cuts short the internal
17 debate.)
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman