From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] cloning systems across architectures
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:56:32
1 On Thu, 2004-03-11, 10:46:55 +0900, in
2 <200403111046.55363.jstubbs@g.o>, Jason Stubbs
3 <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
4 > On Thursday 11 March 2004 08:25, George Shapovalov wrote:
5 [snip]
6 > Emerge now checks to see if a package listed in the world file is
7 > installed before doing anything with it. If it's not installed, it is
8 > skipped.
9
10 I've noticed.
11
12 I can see three ways portage could respond to additions to the world
13 file:
14
15 1. skip the added package
16 2. install the added package
17 3. abort due to state file inconsistency
18
19 Of the three, I would select #2. I would be hard-pressed to choose
20 between #1 and #3 as the lesser of two evils. My initial instinct is to
21 avoid arbitrary crashes, but if installing packages found in the world
22 file is dangerous, perhaps a stronger reaction may be in order.
23
24 Perhaps somebody could seed my memepool on this issue.
27 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
28 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
29 --Ghost in the Shell