From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Dynamic USE dependencies
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 06:59:12
1 On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 06:38:48 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 02 Apr 2015 22:26:03 -0400 as excerpted:
5 >
6 > > If you stuck -* in your make.conf then this change would have no
7 > > affect at all, since you've explicitly set the configuration of
8 > > every use flag.
9 >
10 > That (and package.use still sticking) eases my mind considerably.
11 >
12 > > The current configuration forces you to use config files to capture
13 > > settings you care about, and also ones you don't actually care
14 > > about, and unless you're careful you'll have trouble telling these
15 > > settings apart later. It is like sticking every installed package
16 > > in your world file.
17 >
18 > That comparison is quite persuasive, indeed. =:^)
19 >
20 > Thanks! I understand your idea much better, now, and (cautiously)
21 > agree. =:^)
24 > (Tho FWIW, I guess I'm a careful one. I use -* and put non-global
25 > USE flags in make.conf too if possible, and review USE flags for all
26 > new packages and changes, so everything there is cared about for one
27 > reason or another. Package.use thus contains only individual package
28 > exceptions, and I comment those with both a date and why they /are/
29 > exceptions to the otherwise global policy, so if the only
30 > justification is because package X requires it, that's in the
31 > comment. Make.conf's USE= setting does still accumulate unannotated
32 > stale flags over time, but I just went thru and verified all USE
33 > flags were still used recently, deleting the ones that equery hasuse
34 > didn't raise a hit on, and justifying either by-name or by equery
35 > uses every remaining entry, so everything there is verified there for
36 > a reason now, too.)
39 This is a reminder to you all... since enalyze is little known to
40 users.
41
42 enalyze application in gentoolkit I made does installed db analysis.
43 The analyze submodule creates detailed reports about use flags (and
44 other stuff) usage. The rebuild module can create new pkg.* files for
45 you to maintain the installed state. Allowing you to easily make
46 make.conf USE= changes or profile changes and have your pkg.* files
47 fixed to match. Of course detailed comments it does not do ;)
48
49 plus it saves the new file to your user space, you can do what you like
50 with them from there. Editing your detail commented files to match,
51 etc.. stright swap,...
56 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>