From: Bart Van Kerkhove <overige.vk@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] downloading kernel sources with portage
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:02:47
1 Hi there,
2
3 I’ve been using Gentoo Linux for about a year now and one thing that has
4 been bothering me is that every time a new kernel comes out portage
5 downloads the full version of the new kernel instead of a patch. Since
6 every kernel gets stored in distfiles it would be very easy to use the
7 older kernel and only download the patch.
8
9 For example the 2.6.x series:
10 linux-2.6.0.tar.bz2 32476 KB 32 MB
11 linux-2.6.1.tar.bz2 32461 KB 32 MB
12 linux-2.6.2.tar.bz2 33106 KB 32 MB
13 linux-2.6.3.tar.bz2 33469 KB 33 MB
14 linux-2.6.4.tar.bz2 33581 KB 33 MB
15
16 linux-2.6.*.tar.bz2 165093 KB 161 MB
17
18 Since portage has downloaded all 5 full kernels for me I’ve downloaded
19 160MB of kernel sources.
20
21 If we had simply patched the allready stored 2.6.0 kernel it would have
22 been only 40MB:
23 linux-2.6.0.tar.bz2 32476 KB 32 MB
24 patch-2.6.1.bz2 760 KB 1 MB
25 patch-2.6.2.bz2 2268 KB 2 MB
26 patch-2.6.3.bz2 2006 KB 2 MB
27 patch-2.6.4.bz2 2210 KB 2 MB
28 linux.*+patch.* 39720 KB 39 MB
29
30 I’ve tried this myself and it’s as easy as:
31 tar -xvjpf linux-2.6.0.tar.bz2 && cd linux-2.6.0
32 patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.1
33 patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.2
34 patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.3
35 patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.4
36 cd .. && mv linux-2.6.0 linux-2.6.4
37
38 Since bandwith doesn’t grow on trees and the patching doesn’t take long,
39 saving far over a gigabyte every 10 users it seems to me this is well
40 worth it. I understand we can’t patch forever, but every 5 kernels or so
41 is a big saving in bandwith.
42
43 Comments? What do you think?
44