From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:44:09
1 On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:38:16PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 08/30/05 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Monday 29 August 2005 22:52, Zac Medico wrote:
5 > > > Brian Harring wrote:
6 > > > > Please test this out; if you want to test the EAPI checking, tag
7 > > > > EAPI=1 into an ebuild, and try making emerge bail.
8 > > >
9 > > > Well, it bails too often. :)
10 > > >
11 > > > It seems that an explicit integer conversion is needed for > and <
12 > > > comparisons with mixed types
13 > > > (2.0.51-eapi-awareness-emerge-int-conversion.patch).
14 > >
15 > > I don't think it is a wise path to interpret EAPI's as integers at
16 > > all. There should not be guarantees of forward or backward
17 > > compatibility between versions. Interpreting them as integers seems
18 > > to imply that. Basically I think that EAPI could be anything wanted,
19 > > similar to SLOTS. Of course using digits is easy for humans.
20 >
21 > I've to agree with Paul here, portage should hold a list of all EAPI
22 > values it understands, not a maximum value.
23 Stable knows of one version- so containment check versus > is moot;
24 negated values are disallowed for eapi anyways.
25 Note that the rewrite will do containment tests instead, but rewrite
26 will also support eapi1 and eapi0 rather then just one.
27 ~harring