From: Markus Walter <lists@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Normaliser function for distfiles
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 14:50:34
1 On Tue, 17 May 2022 16:35:11 +0200,
2 Micha³ Górny wrote:
3 > This would require a new EAPI. We don't really want more Portage-
4 > specific hacks that are going to break for everyone not using Portage or
5 > the very specific Portage version.
6 >
7 > I'm not saying that it's not doable but I'm not convinced the added
8 > complexity is really worth the effort, especially given that this looks
9 > like a very special corner case. In the end, fixing Melpa is the right
10 > thing to do.
11 >
12 > For a start, you'd have to ensure that the "normalizer script" (or its
13 > dependencies, if you put it in the repo) is available at the time of
14 > fetching. This pretty much goes back to the problem of "fetch
15 > dependencies", and requires a major design change in Portage that
16 > reduces separation between fetching and installing that we have now.
17 > I mean, right now Portage pretty much assumes that you can do
18 > a `--fetchonly` with no extra packages necessary.
19 >
20 > The "normalizer" wouldn't be trivial either. In the end, we're talking
21 > about getting 100% consistent results on all platforms, over
22 > a reasonably long timeframe.
23
24 Oh, what a chain of complexity. Yeah, I'll go try fixing melpa first.
27 Markus
30 For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more
31 intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much---the wheel, New
32 York, wars and so on---while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about
33 in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always
34 believed that they were far more intelligent than man---for precisely the
35 same reasons. (Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.)