From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Feature request
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:20:03
1 On Thursday 01 January 2004 21:43, Scott Taylor wrote:
2 > I've even got a dedicated cache appliance for http, but files that had
3 > been requested through ftp aren't cached there. I think probably the
4 > first stopgap that i'd apply would be to comment out the line that
5 > parses the "nomirror" option. If its used to keep files from being
6 > pushed onto the rotation servers, great... but its an annoyance within
7 > my network. Then i'd see about making my own server the first in the
8 > list of sourceforge mirrors, followed by a mirror that i know works
9 > better for me. Perhaps the mirrorselect tool could automatically check
10 > for good sf.net servers too. For that matter, I'd quite like to see a
11 > fill-in-the-blank line plus the ability to choose the order from within
12 > mirrorselect... perhaps even a order of preference that round-robins
13 > equally weighted servers.
14
15 Squid can cache ftp too (and others), given that you set the filesize to a
16 size that is reasonable for portage (and not really for webbrowsing, by
17 default squid doesn't cache most source files).
18
19 This does not mean that mirror selection can and should be done better,
20 however it is hard to come up with a real good algorithm that does not
21 involve people changing things by themselves (but still allows them to)
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze
27 Gentoo Developer