From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Re: portage-ng roadmap?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:31:10
1 >> I don't know. Currently I'm working on my own effort on a portage rewrite.
2 >> It
3 >> should follow most of the ideas that have been floating around for ng, but I
4 >> cannot give any time on delivery of a useable system. The only thing that I
5 >> have really working well now is searching (emerge -s) which is a lot faster.
6 >> Further I've developed an ebuild parser in c++ which still has issues. If
7 >> there is a lot of interest I might put it in gentoo cvs or release a tarbal.
8 >> However as I'm going away in 8 days I think that will happen only in a
9 >> month.
12 > need help ?
13 > I'd like to work on the cache part, since I'm getting sic of "emerge rsync".
14
15 A big change in what I have, which is not nearly workeable yet (and I won't
16 work on it at all until august) is that it tries to use lazy evaluation
17 techniques combined with in memory caching. When you open an ebuild object you
18 can do with it whatever you want but the actual file is only read at the
19 moment you request the value of a property other than the version. Similarly
20 the packages in a category are only requested on demand. Searching (emerge -s
21 like) uses a smart strategy using the glob function ;-). The cache
22 precalculation should not be necessary for the full rewrite.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze
28 Gentoo Developer