From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: gentoolkit: Make portage.config object a global object
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:43:42
1 On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 08:09 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > I tried doing this once before locally, but found some issue with it.
3 > Unfortunately, I can't remember what that issue was. If you are calling
4 > setcpv() for every call to the package object that utilizes the config
5 > object and no utilizing packages (in gentoolkit or otherwise) are utilizing
6 > threading, it should theoretically be okay. Actually, I think it was the
7 > threading issue that delayed the fix.
10 (I just realize that I forgot to attach the patch, so the patch is
11 attached to this message)
12
13 The patch is definitely not thread safe. I know that equery and
14 gentoolkit do not utilize threads, but I can not speak for any other
15 third-party packages.
16
17 The quickest way to fix would probably be to implement a semaphore for
18 accessing the portage.config object.
19
20 Regards,
21 Paul