From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] About some settings to auto-replace with dispatch-conf
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 21:08:07
1 El mar, 15-05-2012 a las 08:31 -0700, Zac Medico escribió:
2 > On 05/15/2012 04:15 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 > > Hello
4 > >
5 > > I recently installed Gentoo on my uncle's laptop and he was a bit
6 > > annoyed about needing to run "dispatch-conf" and merge a lot of changes
7 > > on files nobody ever touched.
8 > >
9 > > Looking to /etc/dispatch-conf.conf I noticed options to improve this
10 > > situation exist, but they are disabled by default. I would want to
11 > > confirm if they are safe enough or could cause problems. Options are:
12 > >
13 > > # Automerge files comprising only whitespace and/or comments
14 > > # (yes or no)
15 > > replace-wscomments=no
16 > >
17 > > # Automerge files that the user hasn't modified
18 > > # (yes or no)
19 > > replace-unmodified=no
20 > >
21 > > Looks really surprising to me that "replace-wscomments" is not enabled
22 > > by default as merging that changes shouldn't hurt at all. About
23 > > "replace-unmodified", if it works as intended, it should also be safer
24 > > to get it enabled by default as would prevent breakage if people forgets
25 > > to run dispatch-conf, reboot and, for example, sees some init.d script
26 > > fail to start.
27 > >
28 > > Thanks a lot for the info
29 >
30 > FEATURES=config-protect-if-modified is what you really want. We could
31 > probably enable it by default, but we should ask for comment on the
32 > gentoo-dev mailing list before doing that.
33
34 Didn't know about that option, thanks for pointing it :D
35
36 About trying to enable it by default, I think would make sense per
37 previous exposed reasons (and I am sure there are more examples that
38 could show that behavior is better than keeping obsolete config files by
39 default)