From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:43:34
1 On Wednesday 07 December 2005 01:01, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:19:38 +0900
3 > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
4 > > If there's no solid opposition, Saturday I will put current trunk into
5 > > ~arch as 2.1_beta20051210.
6 >
7 > Well, I've already stated several times that IMO using a 2.1 branch is
8 > wrong (use 2.2 instead), but if I'm overvoted, so it shall be.
9
10 As Brian stated, 2.2 being a version higher than 2.1 will have all the same
11 expectations placed on it. From what I can see, <1% of users know anything
12 about 2.1 so >99% would be wondering why there was a jump from 2.0 to 2.2.
13 Do you have anything against 2.1 other than fearing that people will expect
14 more from it than it will turn out to be?
15
16 > > As for stable users? If arch teams are willing to selectively choose
17 > > what fixes they want backported to stable (when they're not prepared
18 > > to move the ~arch version into stable) things will go much smoother.
19 > > Of course, it would still be our responsibility to get those things
20 > > backported and assert some confidence that it is working. However,
21 > > once the requested fixes are backported all that needs to be done is
22 > > put out the patched stable version with ~arch keywords and then leave
23 > > it up to the arch teams again. Except for the slight extra burden on
24 > > (which I believe many would actually find to be a blessing), it
25 > > should be a win-win situation.
26 >
27 > Just in case you forgot and also for general reference, when I asked
28 > the arch teams about the portage keywording policy a few months ago
29 > (wether we should stable even without testing on all archs or to
30 > delegate that to arch teams) everyone seemed to be happy with the old
31 > policy, at least nobody voted for a change. As portage doesn't really
32 > have any arch specific code and a rather short dep list IMO it also
33 > doesn't yield any real benefit other than more people testing it (which
34 > is of course always a good thing).
35
36 Really, the bottom line is that regardless of what the response was when you
37 asked about portage keywording, if all the arch teams had confidence in what
38 we thought 2.0.53 would have been stable a long time ago. On the surface the
39 only benefit is extra testing (which has already payed off) but it also
40 allows others to take an active hand in the quality of portage as well as
41 strengthens the communication channels. It's these auxillary benefits as well
42 as the benefit of being able to focus on trunk more (which will yield faster
43 rollout of features) that make me think it is the best way to go.
44