From: Simon Lipp <simon.lipp@×××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] [SoC] Idea for emerge
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 18:22:43
1 Hi all,
2
3 To start with, I'm a summer of code applicant. A gentoo mentor (Preston
4 Cody) suggested me to get in touch with portage developers, so, here I
5 am ;). Since I don't think you have access to my application page, I'll
6 explain what I propose.
7
8 When I emerge a new package, there's always at least one useflag which
9 make me shout "what's the hell this means ?". Now, I have to stop
10 emerge, grep /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc (crap, it was
11 in /usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc),
12 edit /etc/portage/package.use, and then re-run emerge. And if I'm
13 unlucky (and I'm often), this useflag has added a new depend which has
14 a new strange useflag, and I have to start the whole procedure again.
15 So, I have imagined a new option to emerge, say --interactive-useflags
16 (the name doesn't matter for now ;)), which will work as this example
17 (well, these useflags are pretty obvious, but it's an example :p):
18
19 $ sudo emerge -vp --interactive-useflags liferea
20 Configuration of liferea...
21 debug - Enable extra debug codepaths, blahblahblah [y/N]
22 gnutls - Adds support for net-libs/gnutls (net-libs/gnutls [I]) [Y/n]
23 gtkhtml - Adds support for gnome-extra/gtkhtml (gnome-extra/gtkhtml)
24 [y/N] Y ...
25 xulrunner - ... (net-libs/xulrunner) [y/N]
26
27 Configuration of new package gnome-extra/gtkhtml...
28 same thing here
29
30 [ebuild N] gnome-extra/gtkhtml-3.12.3 USE="-debug -static" 0 kB
31 [ebuild N] net-news/liferea-1.2.7 USE="dbus -firefox libnotify -debug
32 -gnutls gtkhtml -seamonkey -xulrunner" 0 kB
33
34 Total: 0 package, Size of downloads: 0 kB
35
36 Then, emerge will add net-news/liferea gtkhtml
37 to /etc/portage/package.use and merge liferea normally.
38
39 Notes:
40 - gnutls - ... (net-libs/gnutls [I]) means that this useflag will add
41 a depency against gnutls ([I] means that gnutls is already installed)
42 - we don't configure gnutls since it's already installed, but we
43 configure gtkhtml since it needs to be installed (new dependency)
44
45 Comments, questions and other are welcome ;)
46
47 Regards
48 --
49 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list