From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] kudoos to all
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:24:14
1 Zac Medico wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
6 >> Most of that work can be attributed to Brian Harring. For a real kicker
7 >> though, throw "portdbapi.auxdbmodule = cache.metadata_overlay.database"
8 >> into /etc/portage/modules and FEATURES="-metadata-transfer" into make.conf.
9 >> Then rm -rf /var/cache/edb/dep. This one goes to Zac Medico, the current
10 >> release coordinator, and builds on Brian's work to cut out cache updating
11 >> altogether. New in pre6 and in need of testing - especially when
12 >> local modifications are made - but very promising.
13 >
14 > Before I switched from rsync to cvs I used metadata_overlay all of the time. Andrew Gaffney has also reported good results with this module. He share's the portage tree (including pre-generated rsync cache) via nfs and uses metadata_overlay on all the clients so that they pull pre-generated cache on demand.
15
16 Yep, still going strong through _pre6-r3 on multiple arches.
19 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
20 Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project
23 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list