From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 12:10:59
1 On Tuesday 06 December 2005 11:29, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 23:06 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
4 > >>Okay, new suggestion.
5 > >>
6 > >>Postpone the cache rewrite from above. Have only the minimal mods
7 > >> necessary to fix the PORT_LOGDIR/tee bug. Include the other two as is.
8 > >> That would be 2.0.54 as per the attached patch. Get that out soon and
9 > >> get trunk out masked at around the same time. As soon as 2.0.54 goes
10 > >> stable put trunk into ~arch. However, instead of ~arch meaning
11 > >> "regression fixes only" we could just limit it to "minor changes only"
12 > >> (ie. no big refactorings, rewrites or similar high risk changes) until
13 > >> it is time to stable it.
14 > >
15 > > I think it would be wise to reconsider the cache fixes. I know you have
16 > > been away from irc for a while now and have missed the daily events,
17 > > but most of the people we have interacted with are expecting the cache
18 > > updates in .54 (alot of people complaining about the hanging at 50%)
19 > >
20 > > The code has been pretty well tested and seems safe on the surface. I
21 > > think ferringb's testing has shown that the cache updates use about 14M
22 > > of ram where the existing code (as of .52.x) uses about 80M of ram.
23 >
24 > But still, it's annoying to be stuck with only 2 tiers. Why not put a
25 > snapshot of trunk in the tree and package.mask it? Wouldn't that make
26 > everyone happy?
27
28 That's what I'm thinking. Given that the people that are being asked to stable
29 2.0.53 are complaining that the ldconfig fix and exec/tee fix aren't in it,
30 I'm certain that 2.0.54 would likely go stable *before* 2.0.53 if it is
31 pushed out soon. If the SHA1 stuff is dropped, I can pretty much guarantee
32 it. And as soon as it goes stable, trunk can be pushed into ~arch.
33
34 Doing it this way, the cache rewrite gets into ~arch at pretty much the same
35 time but all the other bits get added along with it. Sure it will mean that
36 there will be a bit of a delay before it gets into stable but if we can speed
37 up the release cycle the delay won't be by very much.
40 Jason Stubbs
41 --
42 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list