From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Home directory for the 'portage' user
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2019 17:04:48
1 I would like to create an acct-user package for the 'portage' user,
2 but I'm having trouble deciding on a home directory.
3
4 baselayout currently sets it to /var/tmp/portage, and this just seems
5 like a bad idea to me. I'm pretty sure we have a QA policy against
6 installing files there anyway.
7
8 If we set the home directory to /dev/null, this may cause problems for
9 unit tests that expect the account to have a valid home directory. For
10 example, see this bug report for app-shells/ksh, which is about a test
11 case that fails when the HOME environment variable is unset. It also
12 fails if the home directory is not a directory (/dev/null).
13
14 https://github.com/att/ast/issues/1391
15
16 /x/portage/app-shells/ksh-2020.0.0_beta1/work/ksh-2020.0.0_beta1-build/src/cmd/ksh93/ksh[5]:
17 cd: /dev/null: [Not a directory]
18 <E> builtins[494]: cd with no arguments fails if HOME is unset
19 <W> builtins[-1]: error_count = 1
20
21 So, I guess we should pick somewhere to create an empty directory for
22 portage. Any suggestions?