From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:46:04
1 On Monday 29 August 2005 22:52, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Please test this out; if you want to test the EAPI checking, tag
4 > > EAPI=1 into an ebuild, and try making emerge bail.
5 >
6 > Well, it bails too often. :)
7 >
8 > It seems that an explicit integer conversion is needed for > and <
9 > comparisons with mixed types
10 > (2.0.51-eapi-awareness-emerge-int-conversion.patch).
11
12 I don't think it is a wise path to interpret EAPI's as integers at all.
13 There should not be guarantees of forward or backward compatibility
14 between versions. Interpreting them as integers seems to imply that.
15 Basically I think that EAPI could be anything wanted, similar to SLOTS.
16 Of course using digits is easy for humans.
17
18 Paul
21 Paul de Vrieze
22 Gentoo Developer