From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Hello
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:34:18
1 On Tuesday 12 October 2004 14:36, Colin Kingsley wrote:
2 > > 3. You have to issue one-and-only-one command for upgrade
3 > Already the case. I think portage is a lot more advanced than you realise.
4 I suspect you meant to say "portage is more advanced than I think you
5 realise" ;).
6
7 Anyway, Ashish:
8 from your description it seems to me that you are thinking about rolling a
9 well defined identical and tested installation on a bunch of PC's at some
10 place. Is this right? There is no need for inventing anything for this
11 purpose. Portage will handle the situation as it is already. The things you
12 should look into if you want more controll over your large-scale installation
13 are:
14
15 1. look into supporting a local portage tree and sync all local nodes against
16 it
17
18 2. Have a testing rig where you install all updates first. Do so with
19 --buildpkg option to roll pre-compiled packages (with all your local
20 settings). Install on local nodes with --usepkg (there are short notations
21 for both these options). Of course you can combine both 1 and 2 :).
22
23 See "man portage" and/or "portage --help" for more. Read portage docs on
24 gentoo.org. Also scan through gentoo-user archives (use gmane.org) and search
25 forums.gentoo.org. This whole topic was covered immense number of times..
26
27 George
31 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list