From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Re: portage-ng roadmap?
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:35:06
1 On 30 Jun 2004, at 11:03, Adrian Gschwend wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:15:18 -0700, George Shapovalov wrote:
4 >
5 >> Well, what's going on is not that its "legally dead". It got its
6 >> start and we
7 >> threw a bunch of comments on the "design". However there does not
8 >> seem to be
9 >> much push behind it at the moment. I suspect there may be only one dev
10 >> working on it (pvdabeel?), if at all. However there is clearly an
11 >> effort to
12 >> clean-up and enhance the [oroginal] portage under way.
13 >
14 > ok after all I care less about a portage-ng but about something I can
15 > use on
16 > non-Linux platforms :-) Is pvdabeel also reading this list?
17
18 Yep, sorry. I was at WWDC, back now.
19
20 Current portage uses some old algorithms, and features get continuously
21 added. The portage team itself is working on cleaning up the code;
22 There is jstubbs portage modularization efforts, last snapshot I looked
23 at got all the global variables at the beginning of the file, ...
24 Portage-ng comes in where old portage stops: revisiting the core
25 algorithms. I am working on a new core that leads to better
26 expressiveness, better performance and shorter, more intuitive, code.
27 This obviously leads to better non-Linux support, but that is not the
28 only reason for doing this.
29
30 The reason I'm doing this alone atm, is because I'm doing this as a MCS
31 thesis.
32
33 Best regards,
34