From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] virtuals and dependencies dispaly
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:45:48
1 On Monday 23 October 2006 16:26, Brian wrote:
2 > I've been improving portholes dependency display, adding more info to
3 > it. I've run into a minor snag when virtuals are concerned. There also
4 > seems to be 2 sources of virtuals. Both are not identical to each
5 > other:
6 >
7 > /usr/portage/virtual -- which seem to be packages.
8
9 They are just regular packages.
10
11 > virtuals = portage.db[portage.root]["virtuals"] from
12 > gentoolkit.__init__.py
13
14 I'm not sure exactly what this returns, but it's probably equivalent to
15 portage.settings.virtuals.
16
17 > I've found virtuals in the tree that are not in portages virtuals and
18 > vice-versa.
19 > Is there an order to their use by portage?
20
21 atom = "virtual/portage"
22 non_virtual_atom = portage.dep_virtual([atom], portage.settings)[0]
23
24 if atom == non_virtual_atom:
25 print atom,"is a 'new style' virtual (aka regular package)"
26 else:
27 print atom,"is an 'old style' virtual that resolves to',
28 print non_virtual_atom
29
30 > Can the ones in the tree be
31 > treated as a category/package for listings, etc.. The ones in the tree
32 > do seem to be returned by:
33 >
34 > portage.db['/']['porttree'].getallnodes()[:] # copy
35 >
36 > The main reason I am looking at this is for indicating the dependency
37 > installed/needed for the virtual. If an installed one is found I use
38 > it's package name. If not where should I get it? From the virtuals in
39 > portage or the tree? both? - then which order?
40
41 The ones in the tree are just regular packages - but may also exist in the
42 PROVIDE attribute of associated ebuilds. As for ordering, packages with
43 PROVIDE override identically named packages in the tree. If you use something
44 similar to the above, it should all be taken care of though.
47 Jason Stubbs
48 --
49 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list