From: Bart Lauwers <blauwers@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-doc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] coveted features
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 00:34:35
1 On Monday 29 December 2003 20:22, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 06:55:50PM +0100, Bart Lauwers wrote:
3 > > Anyway we've got lots of docs but were lacking a good taxonomy for them,
4 > > do we have any librarians helping the docs team? (cc'ing doc to get a
5 > > reply about this)
6 >
7 > Librarians? Not that I know off... What do you mean with taxonomy?
8
9 What do I mean with taxonomy. The schema for orderly classification of
10 documentation in a library. A library can be digital in fact our docs and our
11 website ensemble is a library. Such a schema usually assigns relationships to
12 documents based on natural or presumed relationships. A taxonomy is a tool to
13 make information retrievable by humans without a search engine. In computer
14 based libraries, taxonomies can combine different views or viewpoints without
15 making things messy.
16
17 Anyway I'm not a librarian but I can recommend some reading if you're
18 interrested in buying a book on the topic of what is a taxonomy. I once
19 worked with a bunch of librarians and I found myself needing to read this
20 book on what my collegues were talking about. Anyway the book is on my office
21 shelf but I can forward the title and author tomorrow if you like.
22
23 According to Merriam-Webster.com it means:
24 1 : the study of the general principles of scientific classification :
25 SYSTEMATICS
26 2 : CLASSIFICATION; especially : orderly classification of plants and animals
27 according to their presumed natural relationships
28
29 Bart.
34 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list