From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Signing off patches
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:51:20
1 On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 04:40:19PM +0100, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:32:35 -0800 W. Trevor King wrote:
3 > > If the initial submission does not express the consensus, you can
4 > > either ask for a resubmission that does, or say “Alice, is it ok
5 > > if I change your commit message to read ‘…’? when I commit it?”.
6 >
7 > This assumes the committer would ask that, which barely happens.
8
9 If neither the committer nor the author feel like checking for this,
10 it's probably not going to happen ;).
11
12 > Also, history rewriting is not acceptable as far as I know...
13
14 It's not rewriting history if the patch hasn't been pushed to a stable
15 branch yet. When you commit the patch, adjusting it in ways that the
16 author has agreed to shouldn't count as “rewriting history”. It's
17 only rewriting after you've pushed the original patch into a stable
18 branch.
19
20 > > No policy/suggestion/goal is going to be followed 100% of the time.
21 >
22 > This way, it seems preferable to use the mailing list when blaming.
23
24 Unless some of the discussion happened on IRC. There are several
25 possible channels for patch discussion, but only one commit message
26 per patch.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Trevor