From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] few more portage-ng "feature proposals"
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:34:27
1 On 17 Dec 2003, at 09:52, George Shapovalov wrote:
2
3 > 1. Multilevel categories. For example:
4 > dev-* => dev/langs/{procedural/,functional/...}
5 > lib/...
6 > util/...
7 > Support for arbitrary "deepness" is preferable.
8 > The tree is getting bigger and bigger and this feature should keep it
9 > browsable for some time to come. Addition of similar category browser
11 > http://packages.gentoo.org/ would be nice too.
12 > (I couldn't get through to it for some reason now to check if its not
13 > there.
14 > So if it is I apologise :)).
15
16 I'd support this by considering system components to have unique names
17 and consider categories to be syntactic sugar, however if names are not
18 unique :
19
20 > 2. Support for duplicate package names under different categories.
21 > There was a (mildly) heated discussion some time ago on that one with
22 > may be
23 > only silghtly more people on the pro side. Having dealt with my
24 > portion of
25 > dups and having been in situation when already included package with
26 > the same
27 > name complicates the (naming) issue I arrived to conclusion that it is
28 > inevitable. The reality is that we already have couple of such dups
29 > and we
30 > have to deal with this anyway (btw, even with present portage things
31 > seem to
32 > work even if in a semisupported fashion).
33 >
34 > These two "features" are connected, so I'll put here some common
35 > technical
36 > elaboration. The debate on "dups" one mostly concentrated around flat
37 > vs
38 > categorised namespace or, on the user level, search vs browse paradigm.
39 > Following the "Gentoo is about choice" line of thought I see only one
40 > possible decision here, - to provide both features :). The solution
41 > may be
42 > simple - treat the "category path" as a part of package name.
43
44 when names aren't unique, create a unique name simply by taking into
45 account category. (category no longer is syntactic sugar, but gets a
46 semantic.
47
48 > 3. Add search keywords (or some other tags) to packages.
49 > I believe this was considered for the extended metadata format in the
50 > future
51 > and even mentioned not so long ago (although I don't remember where
52 > and when
53 > and I don't see relevant GLEP, should I file one?). I am bringing this
54 > up
55 > largerly to complete "the picture" started in pp 1 and 2.
56 >
57 > Taken together these three "enhancements" should make it possible to
58 > maintain
59 > both search and browsing ability for portage database even as it
60 > continues to
61 > grow.
62
63 that would be trivial to implement, but it does have a (small) impact
64 on finding packages for which a given keyword matches. But there are
65 many ways to overcome this :-)
66
67 > Now last but not least for this email
68 >
69 > 4. Partial portage checkout.
70 > This also was already touted. One of the variants was even recently
71 > proposed
72 > right here, in this list. I am mentioning this mostly to reiterate and
73 > remind
74 > other possible approaches to this.
75
76 Storing the 'knowledge base' in a database (such as Mysql) or in a
77 ports dir which allows for partial checkout should all be options
78 available to the user, or at least implementable.
79
80 > 4.1 "Thematic" checkouts.
81 > Goes along the (proposed) work on "partitioning" the tree for
82 > particular
83 > tasks. The "corporate" theme was mentioned not so long ago (something
84 > along
85 > these lines had a "server" tag in discussions happened about 6-12
86 > month ago I
87 > believe). As long as there is work on supporting a thematic tree
88 > "partition"
89 > and as long as it is in a reasonablt consistent state it should be
90 > possible
91 > to provide such thematic checkout functionality
92
93 see previous answer. What exactly do you mean by 'checkout'? I'd
94 interpret checkout as: updating (through rsync or whatever) only the
95 relevant (using thema) part of the tree.
96 This might be difficult to implement server wise. I see no problems
97 client wise.
98
99 > 4.2 "Stability" checkouts.
100 > Similar partitioning, but based aroung the presumed stability of
101 > packages.
102 > This may follow the present arch/~arch divide or more levels as/if we
103 > introduce them. Apparently this should be inclusive, i.e. poeple who
104 > want
105 > "testing" stuff are goind\g to get "stable" as well.
106
107 A keyword can be seen as a tag,
108
109 Do you mean only for instance: updating only the stable packages and/or
110 tagged 'foo'? This might become a problem server-side, but
111 theoretically it should be possible.
112
113 > These two seem like a lot of work, but in reality major part of this
114 > work is
115 > done in package maintainership and other regular activity (that would
116 > otherwise happen anyway). portage-ng would basically just need to
117 > provide
118 > some support functionality for that.
119 >
120 > On the contrary the next one (the one that was proposed not so long
121 > ago) seems
122 > to require not as trivial extension to portage, as it would need some
123 > nontrivial infrastructure support.
124 >
125 > 4.3 "On demand" checkouts.
126 > I cannot find it right now, but I remember this was proposed on this
127 > list just
128 > a bit over a week ago. Or was it on -dev? Anyway, the idea is to
129 > checkout
130 > some "base" collection by default and then do checkouts of more stuff
131 > as user
132 > requestes (may be indirectly as dependencies).
133
134 That would also be possible, the problem is server side. No problem at
135 all client side.
136
137 > Oh, and we might consider getting all three (or more if they are
138 > requested) of
139 > them, they don't seem to be mutually exclusive :).
140
141 sure. I only see problems server wise, if I remember it correctly the
142 current mirrors have much bandwidth to spare but less storage and
143 computing power.
144
145 Pieter
146