From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Signing off patches
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:03:11
1 On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 01:44:46 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday 16 January 2014 12:44:57 Alexander Berntsen wrote:
5 > > But basically, if someone authors a non-trivial patch, that person
6 > > should *never* push themselves. Whoever reviews it should push it,
7 > > adding the Reviewed-by field. The reviewer should also get an ACK by
8 > > the team lead (via IRC or whatever) and add that to the commit
9 > > before pushing.
10 >
11 > err, what ? that level of process really doesn't make sense here.
12 > the project isn't large enough or have enough active people to
13 > require it.
14 >
15 > any dev with commit access is trusted to do the right thing and to
16 > shepherd their work through.
17 > -mike
18
19 Yes, adding these annotations could cause more overhead than necessary;
20 because either a patch has been reviewed here on the ML or the patch is
21 too trivial for review. In the former case you can find whom agreed on
22 the list (and also relevant discussion), in the latter case there was
23 no need for agreement.
24
25 It feels like spending time on adding all these fields the correct way
26 would cost more than the benefit it would cause; it can be good taste
27 and best practice, but if it doesn't actually gain us something then it
28 is doubtful whether we should spend effort on that.
29
30 Commits already have an author and committer listed, if we just keep
31 those fields correct; then we already have 1) the person whom written
32 the patch (could be bug reporter, could be one of us) and 2) the person
33 whom reviewed / acked (must do before committing) and added the patch.
34
35 Commenting on them one by one:
36
37 - Signed-off-by: Wrote (a substantial portion of) the patch
38
39 As it is rarely written by multiple authors, the author field
40 suffices.
41
42 - Reviewed-by: Reviewed the patch thoroughly
43
44 What extra information does this tell us? This can be seen on ML.
45
46 - Tested-by: Tested the patch thoroughly
47
48 This might make sense for the most important / big patches, but the
49 occasional patch I'm in doubt about; you can't foresee everything in
50 your testing anyway and it could be that errors are caught only
51 after the patch has been committed.
52
53 For an upstream project like the kernel such patch getting accepted
54 into Git is critical, as a lot of kernel developers run from Git;
55 however, downstream here at Portage the story is quite different.
56
57 - Acked-by: Approved the concept but did not read the patch in detail
58 (typically used by the maintainer of a specific portion, or our lead)
59
60 It sounds odd to acknowledge the patch but not read it. I think
61 Acked-by and/or Reviewed-by reflect the committer that is listed.
62
63 - Suggested-by: Designed the implementation
64
65 This would be rather rarely used; and when we need to use it, we
66 probably forget this annotation exist.
67
68 - Reported-by: Reported the bug/feature request
69
70 This is occasionally mentioned in the commit message.
71
72 We can however add these out of respect for the people involved; the
73 alternative is to add them to the commit message, it kind of depends
74 on how (in)formal we want to deal with this. The advantage of using
75 annotations here is that you can quickly summarize ones involvement:
76
77 eg. Person X has reported X bugs, reviewed Y patches, ...
78
79 It feels like a bad practice, good taste thing for a smaller project.
80
81 As a final remark I'd like to suggest to keep matters like review on the
82 ML as much as possible; if we do too much on IRC, we'll lose track of
83 things like "Why is your patch not the one you have send to the ML?".
86 With kind regards,
87
88 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
89 Gentoo Developer
90
91 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
92 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
93 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D