From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] PATCH: initial EAPI awareness
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:13:50
1 On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 07:46:24PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 08/29/05 Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > That and the fact the 2.1 state should be decided, if we're going to
4 > > have (effectively) two branches of development going at once, vs
5 > > developmental line and maintenance branch.
6 >
7 > Well, basically I wanted to deploy elog and Jason mentioned some other
8 > changes as well, and while talking about it we couldn't find much in
9 > head that we didn't want out. Unfortunately you weren't around at that
10 > time. Also I think we could use 2.1 to add all the hacks we need for
11 > transitioning (like the EAPI and Manifest stuff).
12
13 I'd rather tag the hacks into stable release, as what the EAPI
14 patch is intended to do. Reasoning is pretty straightforward; I trust
15 stable code to hold less user visible bugs now, then what 2.1 would
16 hold- stable has been shoved through the ringer; 2.1 hasn't been
17 shoved through a comparable ringer. Further, if we're tagging
18 compatibility hacks for 2.0.51 -> 3.0, the thing that matters is the
19 compatibility additions, not extra (potentially buggy) features.
20
21 Don't get me wrong- I'm still watching 2.1 bugs, but mainly for
22 correction of stuff w/in rewrite.
23
24 2.1 *could* be made into a full release line, I just am convinced the
25 time to do so has come and gone already. Rewrite isn't complete,
26 but the base of it is saner then 2.x's, and people (beyond me) are
27 actively working on it.
28
29 Further, people are sniffing around re: capabilities the rewrite has
30 natively, N portdir's for example for the -osx crew.
31
32 My 2 cents, at least.
33 ~harring