From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@××××××××××××××××××××××××.es>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] search functionality in emerge
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 14:33:44
1 El dom, 23-11-2008 a las 16:01 +0200, tvali escribió:
2 > Try esearch.
3 >
4 > emerge esearch
5 > esearch ...
6 >
7 > 2008/11/23 Emma Strubell <emma.strubell@×××××.com>
8 > Hi everyone. My name is Emma, and I am completely new to this
9 > list. I've been using Gentoo since 2004, including Portage of
10 > course, and before I say anything else I'd like to say thanks
11 > to everyone for such a kickass package management system!!
12 >
13 > Anyway, for my final project in my Data Structures &
14 > Algorithms class this semester, I would like to modify the
15 > search functionality in emerge. Something I've always noticed
16 > about 'emerge -s' or '-S' is that, in general, it takes a very
17 > long time to perform the searches. (Although, lately it does
18 > seem to be running faster, specifically on my laptop as
19 > opposed to my desktop. Strangely, though, it seems that when I
20 > do a simple 'emerge -av whatever' on my laptop it takes a very
21 > long time for emerge to find the package and/or determine the
22 > dependecies - whatever it's doing behind that spinner. I can
23 > definitely go into more detail about this if anyone's
24 > interested. It's really been puzzling me!) So, as my final
25 > project I've proposed to improve the time it takes to perform
26 > a search using emerge. My professor suggested that I look into
27 > implementing indexing.
28 >
29 > However, I've started looking at the code, and I must admit
30 > I'm pretty overwhelmed! I don't know where to start. I was
31 > wondering if anyone on here could give me a quick overview of
32 > how the search function currently works, an idea as to what
33 > could be modified or implemented in order to improve the
34 > running time of this code, or any tip really as to where I
35 > should start or what I should start looking at. I'd really
36 > appreciate any help or advice!!
37 >
38 > Thanks a lot, and keep on making my Debian-using professor
39 > jealous :]
40 > Emma
44 > --
45 > tvali
46 >
47 > Kuskilt foorumist: http://www.cooltests.com - kui inglise keelt oskad.
48 > Muide, üle 120 oled väga tark, üle 140 oled geenius, mingi 170 oled ju
49 > mingi täica pea nagu prügikast...
50
51 I use eix:
52 emerge eix