From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:34:44
1 On Wednesday 07 December 2005 11:57, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 08:41:27 +0900
3 >
4 > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On Wednesday 07 December 2005 01:01, Marius Mauch wrote:
6 > > > On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:19:38 +0900
7 > > >
8 > > > Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
9 > > > > If there's no solid opposition, Saturday I will put current trunk
10 > > > > into ~arch as 2.1_beta20051210.
11 > > >
12 > > > Well, I've already stated several times that IMO using a 2.1 branch
13 > > > is wrong (use 2.2 instead), but if I'm overvoted, so it shall be.
14 > >
15 > > As Brian stated, 2.2 being a version higher than 2.1 will have all
16 > > the same expectations placed on it. From what I can see, <1% of users
17 > > know anything about 2.1 so >99% would be wondering why there was a
18 > > jump from 2.0 to 2.2. Do you have anything against 2.1 other than
19 > > fearing that people will expect more from it than it will turn out to
20 > > be?
21 >
22 > It isn't about expectations.
23
24 Ok, I misunderstood your previous posts on this topic then.
25
26 > I just think it's bad engineering to use the same version prefix for
27 > two rather different codebases. ... After all, wasn't engineering the reason
28 > why we're going to increase the minor?
29
30 I don't understand where the conflict comes in between the two. Internally,
31 the old 2.1 has been known as HEAD, trunk and now 2.1-experimental.
32 Externally, it's been known as 2.1.0_alpha20050718. The set of new features
33 available in 2.1.0_alpha20050718 are pretty much all available in current
34 trunk as far as I know... You'll need to explain the issue in a little bit
35 more detail.
36
37 > > Really, the bottom line is that regardless of what the response was
38 > > when you asked about portage keywording, if all the arch teams had
39 > > confidence in what we thought 2.0.53 would have been stable a long
40 > > time ago. On the surface the only benefit is extra testing (which has
41 > > already payed off) but it also allows others to take an active hand
42 > > in the quality of portage as well as strengthens the communication
43 > > channels.
44 >
45 > Ok, but it still doesn't really have anything to do with arch teams,
46 > "just" general QA.
47
48 True, but currently there's no general QA team for coordinating the stability
49 of the tree in general. Instead, this has been left up to the individual arch
50 teams (which is a little strange/disorganized) so
53 > Also I didn't mean to criticize you, just stating that this option exists.
54
55 Isn't it your responsibility to? ;)
56
57 > > I can't tell if you followed what I said in my last email so I'll
58 > > reiterate. Trunk will go into ~arch on Saturday. 2.0.54 will go out
59 > > (also in ~arch) two weeks after that with the two fixes and include
60 > > the cache rewrite based on the opinion of a broad range of users
61 > > (rather than just the noise makers). SHA1 will of course also go in
62 > > based on how it is voted.
63 >
64 > Ehm, what's the point of having .54 in ~arch after trunk is in
65 > ~arch? You won't get much testing that way as ~arch users would
66 > already use trunk and stable users likely won't know about .54 ...
67 > (typical visibility problem)
68
69 The visibility problem is exactly why I'm suggesting it be done that way.
70 Neither ~arch users nor arch users get needless bumps and testing of trunk
71 doesn't get held up at all. .54 would be .53 + selective patches from trunk
72 hence all its parts will have had extensive testing. The whole would only
73 need a minimal amount of testing by those marking it stable before doing so.
76 Jason Stubbs
77 --
78 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list