From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] FEATURE=preserved-libs issues
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 15:36:16
1 Since installing portage-2.2, I have had preserved-libs kick in twice on
2 all of my machines. Each time that it has kicked in the emerge
3 @preserved-libs command has failed miserably and I have had to revert
4 back to using revdep-rebuild to fix the problems.
5
6 I'm not positive that this is neccessarily an issue with preserved-libs
7 directly, but I'm not sure what is needed to file the appropriate bugs
8 to get this feature working correctly.
9
10 Here are the two cases that I have found so far:
11
12 1. Upgrade to dev-libs/nss
13
14 During emerge @preserved-libs, evolution refused to compile. It appears
15 that the compilation was still attempting to use the older nss
16 libraries.
17
18 See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-697944-highlight-.html for
19 someone else's issue with this upgrade.
20
21 2. Upgrade to www-client/mozilla-firefox to version 3
22
23 After upgrading, perserved-libs kept a couple of the older libraries
24 around and wanted to remerge firefox. emerge @preserved-libs did not
25 get rid of the libraries and firefox would not run. I ended up having
26 to unmerge mozilla-firefox and re-emerging to get rid of the old
27 libraries and to get it functioning.
28
29 My first question is what specificially do I need to collect to check if
30 it is a preserved-libs problem versus and application problem?
31
32 My second question is when revdep-rebuild is used in these cases, It
33 won't find the problems unless the --library option is used. Is there a
34 portage API function that I can use to tell it to remove the
35 preserved-libs? (I know this will cause software linked against the old
36 versions to break, and if I add anything to revdep-rebuild, it will not
37 be a default option)
38
39 Regards,
40 Paul