From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The build system (and install layout) of Portage
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2022 21:05:43
1 On Thu, 2022-03-17 at 20:57 +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2022-03-17 at 18:22 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > An alternative is to go back to using (at least partially) Makefiles or
4 > > Meson. However, that would have the important drawback that we'd lose
5 > > the ability to install Portage as a regular Python package (e.g. inside
6 > > a virtualenv).
7 >
8 > What is the use case for doing that? I thought maybe testing, but then you can
9 > run Portage and its unit tests in-place without installing it at all right
10 > now.
11
12 Using Portage as a library for package inspection, etc. -- i.e. mostly
13 CI purposes.
16 Best regards,
17 Michał Górny