From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Plausible idea for GLEP 19?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:03:40
1 On Sunday 22 January 2006 13:02, Marius Mauch wrote:
2
3 > Well, posting YAIP (yet another implementation plan) won't really help
4 > either.
5
6 Correct, plans never seem to go anywhere in regards to this...
7
8 > Don't see the goal here, just the constraints. Are you after a
9 > non-moving tree, a tree with just security fixes, visibility filters in
10 > portage, a new `emerge moo` graphics, ... ?
11
12 The existing tree with additional functionality. Implemented via a new
13 revision type.
14
15 > > > No point, would rather add a RSYNC_OPTS var finally instead, which
16 > > > gives the same functionality (and much more).
17
18 > Yeah, RSYNC_OPTIONS would remove all that hardcoded stuff and put it in
19 > make.globals instead.
20
21 From make.globals:
22
23 # *****************************
24 # ** DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE **
25 # ***************************************************
26 # **** CHANGES TO make.conf *OVERRIDE* THIS FILE ****
27 # ***************************************************
28 # ** Incremental Variables Accumulate Across Files **
29 # ** USE, CONFIG_*, and FEATURES are incremental **
30 # ***************************************************
31
32 > I removed the warning in gentoolkit-2.1 (wanted to do that for quite
33 > some, just didn't get around to do it). What kind of inconsistent
34 > results are you speaking of?
35
36 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/glsa-integration.xml, section on known
37 problems.
38
39 The plan is nice. It does not, however, address the needs of some users to
40 have a STABLE system as well. Some users can't willy nilly upgrade to the
41 next version of a package because they might have requirements to stay at
42 the same version. Through something as simple as adding a new revision
43 specifier, a framework can be in place to backport security fixes or ONLY
44 apply revisions that are security related...
45
46 > Still has issues as this allows for multiple equal versions to exist
47 > (as -rX == -sX). And no, it could not be used immideately in the tree
48
49 In this case the s is seen as more recent (I have already tested it). If
50 there is a -r5 and a -s5 package, the -s5 package is seen as the most
51 recent. The depgraph must be sorting alphabetically. You could, in
52 effect, migrate towards having revbumps that only add security fixes as -s.
53 Revbumps that are trivial (becoming stable in another arch) could continue
54 being -r. Either way, if they were exact copies of the same ebuild, no
55 harm, no foul.
56
57 > as unaware portage versions would fail with interesting errors (see
58 > glep 45 for background info), same reason the versioning extensions in
59 > 2.1 can't be used yet (even if 2.1 would be stable). And I'm quite sure
60 > that if this would be used in the tree we'd hit versioning screwups
61 > sooner or later (-sX -> -rX+1 -> -rX+2 -> -sX+1).
62
63 Damn you, damn you all to hell!
64
65 > I didn't claim that all/the majority of revbumps are security related.
66 > And there is a way to distinguish the different kind of revbumps: read
67 > the changelog.
68
69 Hah hah, funny.
70
71 > Well, it "only" needs a way to feed a set of nodes into the dep
72 > resolver. But that in turn is quite a task as the dep resolver code is
73 > nasty.
74
75 I have looked at the dep resolver and don't want to go near it with a 10
76 foot pole. I only want to do the functional equivalent of filtering out
77 anything but "*-sX$" (pseudo regex) during the final doemerge or when
78 displaying in case of --pretend.
79
80 > What functionality does it actually add? The changes you described so
81 > far just allow multiple letters as revision prefixes. The main thing of
82 > your proposal was probably to limit updates to -s updates, and that's a
83 > tricky goal.
84
85 It enables ebuild maintainers to backport security patches. It allows them
86 to fix security problems that are not glsa alerts. It does not require the
87 use of a new tool or integration of glsa into portage. It allows users to
88 distinguish between revbumps of a trivial nature and revbumps of a security
89 nature.
90
91 > Wow, allowing multiple letters for revision prefixes counts as creating
92 > a framework theses days ;)
93
94 Yes, I believe it can. The same way -r is a framework for updating existing
95 packages.
96
97 > Again, you haven't touched the resolver yet, so you're not filtering
98 > anything out so far. And that is the crucial part here as far as I
99 > understand your proposal.
100
101 Working on it... What a nightmare. I don't want to touch the resolver
102 code, only call a different altlist to pass to mydepgraph.merge() or
103 mydepgraph.display() that filters out anything but -sX packages. I am also
104 learning python as I go.
105
106 Something along the lines of:
107
108 emerge glsa-updates (new action)
109 internally do an emerge -Du world to get the depgraph
110 filter final call to act only on -sX packages
111
112 Like you said, that appears to be the not-quite-so-simple part of my master
113 plan :)