From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Security and Comparison of Portage with other Package Managers
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 20:10:47
1 On 03/08/2015 07:59 AM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
2 > Zac Medico:
3 >> On 03/06/2015 09:50 AM, Mark Kubacki wrote:
4 >>> We're on the same side here.
5 >>>
6 >>> Do we have numbers showing the ratio "portage used with defaults" vs.
7 >>> where "[webrsync-gpg] is described in many hardening guides for gentoo
8 >>> and widely used among the security conscious" applies?
9 >>>
10 >>> DNS not being encrypted is just painting the whole picture. Point is,
11 >>> the default is that "emerge --sync" results in a transfer using RSYNC
12 >>> (or http).
13 >>>
14 >>> And by default you cannot compare the result with any authoritative source.
15 >>>
16 >>
17 >> Ideally, we can rely on security mechanisms built into git [1], possibly
18 >> involving signed commits.
19 >>
20 >> [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo-portage-rsync-mirror
21 >
22 > Then the question is, how secure are signatures when used wit hgit?
23
24 And once we answer that question, the question is, is git secure enough
25 for our needs?
26
27 > A while ago I wrote a blog post asking that question, referencing a lot
28 > related information, started a discussion and also posted this on the
29 > git mailing list.
30 >
31 > "How safe are signed git tags? Only as safe as SHA-1 or somehow safer?"
32 > [1] [2]
33 >
34 > Cheers,
35 > Patrick
36 >
37 > [1]
38 > https://www.whonix.org/blog/how-safe-are-signed-git-tags-only-as-safe-as-sha-1-or-somehow-safer
39 > [2] http://www.mail-archive.com/git@×××××××××××.org/msg61087.html
40
41 For the time being, I think that git is secure enough for our needs, and
42 I trust that git will implement stronger security soon enough.
43 --
44 Thanks,
45 Zac