From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC/PATCH] repoman: unroll escaped lines so we can check the entirety of it
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 00:10:42
1 On 25 May 2012 04:18, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 >> If there is no such policy, and a forced text-wrap at 80 characters is
3 >> not needed, I would love for that setting to be removed.
4
5 Hmm, http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html#indenting-and-whitespace
6
7 does sort of imply a "keep it under 80 chars where possible", but vims
8 wrap settings don't really see it like that, vim is more "80
9 characters, if you can't get it under that, WRAP" .
10
11 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/variables/index.html#required-variables
12
13 Indicates "less than 80", but 79 characters + 14 for 'DESCRIPTION=""'
14 = 93 so if you're pushing the description limitation, vim will try
15 wrapping each and every time you type a new letter.
16
17 And repoman doesn't even warn till you hit a 100 character description
18 ( col 114 )
19
20 So is there something that specifies this somewhere, or does that
21 required-variables and indenting-and-whitespace section need to be
22 made updated and made more clear, that
23
24 Description can be up to 100 ( not 80 ) and that the text-width is
25 merely a suggestion, not any sort of
26 defacto-but-hard-to-find-documented standard?
29 Kent
30
31 perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
32 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"