From: Zac Medico <zmedico@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: r2424 - main/trunk/pym
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:45:31
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Thursday 22 December 2005 16:21, Brian Harring wrote:
3 >>
4 >>Not sure if hiding the exception away (traceback) is a good thing;
5 >>wrapping it with purdy output, sure, but swallowing it?
8 > If it's failing to import, there's something pretty wrong with it. I'm sure
9 > that module authors will know enough to remove the except block. Is there
10 > really anything useful gained from dumping the traceback?
13 A while back we had someone in #gentoo-portage with a problem where portage was swallowing the traceback in effectively the same way. In that case it turned out to be a corrupt python bytecode file (.pyo) in their python installation. Given that we can never rule out problems in the user's python installation (or third party python modules), the best policy may be to print a traceback in any case (better safe than sorry).
14
15 Zac
18 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list