From: tvali <qtvali@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Few things, which imho would make portage better
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:53:52
1 I did think about some priorities too, so that it could be perfect for me.
2
3 It should be possible to add package with a priority. I will give you an use
4 case and explanation how i would use portage.
5
6 emerge --justadd kdebase-meta kicker --priority 10
7 emerge --justadd kdenetwork-meta kdeutils-meta kdeadmin-meta --priority 9
8 emerge --justadd kdeedu-meta kdetoys-meta kdegames-meta kdeartwork-meta
9 --priority 1
10 emerge --justadd koffice-meta kdegraphics-meta kdemultimedia-meta --priority
11 5
12 emerge --justadd kdewebdev-meta kdevelop htmltidy kompare cervisia
13 --priority 7
14 emerge --justadd kdepim-meta --priority 3
15 emerge --justadd kdeaddons-meta kde-meta --priority 20
16 emerge --changepriority kdeaddons-meta kde-meta --priority 0
17
18 Now, when i run emerge --update, it should:
19
20 * Sort packages in such order that packages with highest priority would be
21 installed as soon as possible
22 * Start installing
23 * If something goes wrong, then skip this package and all, which depend on
24 it. This should be optional, if those, which dont depend on it, but are
25 needed by same package, will stay in their positions (go to end of same
26 priority packages) or go to end.
27
28 When i need to use my computer and need much resources, i will press ctrl-c,
29 use it, then start (continue) emerge --update.
30