From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Security and Comparison of Portage with other Package Managers
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 15:30:37
1 On 03/05/15 09:49, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am currently working on a comparison of package managers in which
5 > Portage is part of.
6 >
7 > https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Comparison_Of_Package_Managers
8 >
9 > Would you be interested to check if the current assessments are correct
10 > and/or to fill the remaining gaps?
11 >
12 > Where the comparison table is hosted or licensing (as long as it's Libre
13 > Software) doesn't matter much to me. Edits can be made by both anonymous
14 > and registered users. Those need to be verified by admins before they go
15 > visible by default for everyone. If you like to have an account without
16 > that limitation, that is also possible.
17 >
18 > Cheers,
19 > Patrick
23 Looking at the table, it appears to be unaware of using
24 FEATURES=webrsync-gpg instead of standard rsync. We offer a full copy
25 of the repo which is compressed and gpg signed which would seem to
26 mitigate a lot of the attacks in your table. Not that I nessesarily
27 agree that some of them even qualify as attacks, but webrsync-gpg would
28 appear to mitigate attacks 3, 11, and 12.
29
30 Attack 7 is possible, but the user would know since emerge tells you
31 every time it is run how long it has been since a successful update
32 based on a timestamp in the portage tree which for webrsync-gpg the
33 attacker cannot modify.
34
35 Attack 14 is not possible in gentoo as emerge will jump from mirror to
36 mirror until it successfully gets the desired file. One would have to
37 own all the mirrors (or at least hijack dns) to stop the user from
38 getting a file, but at that point it's no longer a malicious mirror attack.
39
40 I used the footnote numbers to reference the attacks.
41
42 -Zero