From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] tree dependency check
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:13:24
1 Marius Mauch schrieb:
2 > So after manifest2 is in, I'll revive the other issue that IMO is a
3 > requirement for 2.1: enforcing dependencies needed to use the tree (see
4 > old threads or glep44 for reasoning). A patch for that is available at
5 > dev.gentoo.org/~genone/patches/treedeps.diff. Unless somebody objects
6 > I'll add that somewhere next week.
7
8 Ok, from a discussion with Zac and a few others it seems that we should
9 add a layer of indirection, so instead of specifying atoms the tree has
10 a freeform version identifier, and portage can use it to look up the
11 required atoms by using a (remote) mapping file.
12 This new approach is implemented in
13 dev.gentoo.org/~genone/pacthes/format-check.diff (it's basically a
14 combination of strategies D and E in d.g.o/~genone/docs/treedeps.txt)
15
16 This new patch also has a few other improvements:
17 - checks overlays too
18 - at sync time first check the tree format of the remote tree, if we
19 can't handle it the sync is aborted
20 - if no format specification is found warn the user about it (with the
21 intention to fail in a future version)
22
23 New intended merge date is this weekend or beginning of next week, so if
24 you have any objections, make them now.
25
26 Marius
27 --
28 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list