From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Pending changes to Portage ebuild & behavior
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:03:18
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 Following the last meeting approval, I've started working on cleaning up
4 sys-apps/portage, and making it use EAPI=5 and python-r1. While at it,
5 I found a few difficulties, pretty closely related to how we install
6 portage now.
7
8 I believe we need to change that to make the ebuild cleaner. If someone
9 has some spare time, I'd appreciate fixing the portage code.
10
11
12 Current install
13 ---------------
14
15 1. .py files are installed in /usr/lib/portage/pym and byte-compiled
16 with active python interp,
17
18 2. emerge and other tools prepend /usr/lib/portage/pym to use those
19 files [bytecode conflict possible],
20
21 3. site-packages contains only symlinks to .py files,
22
23 4. some of python modules in portage use paths relative to .py file to
24 access /usr/lib/portage/bin.
25
26
27 New install
28 -----------
29
30 1. no /usr/lib/portage/pym (it's not really necessary with
31 python_targets),
32
33 2. all python modules & bytecode in site-packages,
34
35 3. emerge and other tools load portage from site-packages [proper
36 bytecode used],
37
38 4. but python modules need to be able to locate /usr/lib/portage/bin
39 somehow.
40
41
42 What needs to be done
43 ---------------------
44
45 1. either:
46
47 a) we make portage capable of finding /usr/lib/portage/bin when .py
48 files are in site-packages (but don't break running from checkout!),
49
50 b) we install all of bin/* to site-packages as well (some python
51 packages simply do that).
52
53 2. extra kudos for replacing that ugly Makefile with setup.py.
54
55
56 Any thoughts? Anyone willing to do the work? Otherwise, I'll do it
57 myself if nobody beats me up to it.
58
59 Attaching work-in-progress portage-9999-r1 ebuild. Don't install it or
60 your system will be broken :).
61
62 --
63 Best regards,