From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] IUSE and userland_, elibc_, kernel_, etc.
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 16:55:02
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Fabian Groffen wrote:
5 > Just to have it clear and to be sure:
6 >
7 > On 04-11-2007 03:33:41 +0000, vapier@g.o wrote:
8 >> Modified: diffutils-2.8.7-r2.ebuild
9 >> Log:
10 >> do *not* include userland_GNU in IUSE
11 >> (Portage version: 2.1.3.16)
14 >> Index: diffutils-2.8.7-r2.ebuild
15 >
16 >> -IUSE="nls static userland_GNU"
17 >> +IUSE="nls static"
20 > On 04-11-2007 08:10:29 +0000, Zac Medico wrote:
21 >> Author: zmedico
22 >> Date: 2007-11-04 08:10:29 +0000 (Sun, 04 Nov 2007)
23 >> New Revision: 8420
24 >>
25 >> Modified:
26 >> main/trunk/pym/portage/dbapi/bintree.py
27 >> Log:
28 >> When evaluating *DEPEND conditionals for the Packages metadata
29 >> index, do not use IUSE to filter USE since there is currently
30 >> no guarantee that IUSE properly defines all of the necessary
31 >> flags.
32 >
33 > These two changes now mean that without having "userland_GNU" in IUSE
34 >
35 > DEPEND="!userland_GNU? ( some/package )"
36 >
37 > will correctly end up in the Packages file, such that Portage will
38 > properly calculate dependencies when reading from a binhost, right?
39
40 Well, I consider my change to be a workaround for people behaving
41 like Mike and refusing to declare certain conditionals in IUSE. The
42 way that I see it, userland_GNU is a USE conditional, so it belongs
43 in IUSE just like any other USE conditional. Maybe we would be
44 better off if things like userland_GNU weren't in the USE
45 conditional space, but they are.
46
47 I don't understand why people refuse to declare certain conditionals
48 in IUSE. IUSE conveys important information about which flags the
49 package responds to. If we're not going to record them in IUSE
50 explicitly, then every package, regardless of whether or not it uses
51 those conditionals, will have to inherit them implicitly. If that's
52 what we are going to do, then we should invent a way to declare in
53 the profile which flags will behave that way (maybe we can just use
54 USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN, but that's only designed for USE_EXPAND flags).
55
56 Zac
64 --
65 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list