From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Undo feature in portage-ng ?
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 02:24:03
1 I am going to begin work (soon) on implementing a system to monitor a
2 given directory for file changes, additions, etc. and perform a
3 user-defined action on the added/changed/etc file immediately. This
4 system could theoretically be used in conjunction with a local CVS
5 repository (a CVS mirror of /etc, for example) to provide the
6 functionality you are looking for, I think. More details can be made
7 available by request either to the list or on a per-person basis;
8 whatever you guys (and girls) want.
9
10 Aside from that, if the official portage dev team wants to include
11 something like this backup system in future releases of portage (or
12 portage-ng), I'm willing to take a shot at solving this problem. In the
13 last few minutes several thoughts have already come to mind on how to
14 solve this, but I'm still not sure if it's really desirable as a
15 capability of emerge. Let me know, and I'll begin serious brainstorming.
16
17 -Hasan
18
19 humbaba@×××.net wrote:
20 > Hi
21 > I was wandering whether the are plans to implement a kind of undo function in portage-ng or even portage.
22 > It would be very nice to have an option in emerge wich makes portage to record all the changes that are done during an emerge, so you can later undo this changes.
23 > Somthing like:
24 > emerge kde-3.2 --record-changes-in /path/to/file
25 > and when you want get back to the previour version/state of system:
26 > emerge --undo-changes /path/to/file
27 >
28 > I hope this is the right place to ask for such things. When it is not (please let me know), I appolozise.
29 >
30 > Thanks
31 >
32 > --